Connect with us

Formula E

Todt Doubtful of Full Monaco Track Use

Jean Todt raises questions over whether Formula E will use the full Monaco layout…

Photo: Formula E

FIA President Jean Todt has questioned “a rational reason” for the ABB FIA Formula E Championship to use the full Monaco Grand Prix circuit in Season Five.

Formula E founder and CEO Alejandro Agag told e-racing365 last month that the new Gen 2 Formula E cars would race on the 2.074-mile circuit next May.

“Monaco is back and we will use the full track,” Agag said. “The short track was too small; it was OK, but it is much better for us to race on the big one.”

However, Todt has now stated that the decision has not been made and has cast doubt on hosting the race on the same configuration used by Formula 1.

“It is true that it has been discussed but at the moment we have two options,” the FIA president told e-racing365 at this weekend’s Paris E-Prix.

“We either take the normal circuit or we take the other thing [previous Formula E track].

“Today, with what I understand, I would be against having the normal circuit but I am here to be convinced.

“If we do something it needs to be a rational reason but at the moment I don’t have any reason which makes me think that we should go on the traditional circuit.”

Todt highlighted the challenges of modifying existing street circuits and also appeared to state that the shorter Monaco layout would be of more interest as a unique venue for the all-electric series.

“Maybe it will be nicer because we know a street circuit is already difficult but a modified street circuit is even more difficult,” said Todt.

“But, what matters for me is the interest for the championship, and for that [you need something] you cannot compare to any other: an exclusive championship.”

Formula E first raced on the shortened 1.097-mile track, which by-passes the rise and fall from the Massenet and Casino Square section through to the harbor-front chicane, in 2014 with a plan to race in the principality bi-annually.

The calendar for the fifth season of Formula E is due to be revealed at the World Motorsport Council meeting in early June.

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

5 Comments

5 Comments

  1. Anonymous

    April 28, 2018 at 8:11 am

    There’s no confusion! Todt doesn’t want Formula-e to sully his beloved F1! (After all his loyalty is to Ferrari) Agag is right, the previous circuit was much to small! It was more like a glorified Go-Kart track! Formula-e cars need to be on the standard Monaco GP layout.

    • Nicolas Naves

      April 28, 2018 at 8:48 am

      Agree!!

  2. Chris

    April 28, 2018 at 1:32 pm

    The short track being crap should be more than enough reason. It doesn’t matter if FE is massively slower. It’s about racing. And FE will provide the best racing that track has ever seen.

  3. Old Trombone

    May 2, 2018 at 11:29 am

    This ain’t about FE it’s about Todt, and whether Liberty’s deal had exclusivity for F1 to use the full track written in it or not, and whether they are allowed to discuss that in public, or not.

    Methinks that Rainier assumes he gets the final say, and Todt wants the final say without letting Rainier know that Todt thinks the FIA owns Monaco, which it certainly does NOT!

    If I was Rainier and I owned Monaco, I’d tell Todt that he doesn’t.

  4. Andrew

    June 22, 2018 at 12:36 am

    Notice Todt had to call the short track a “thing” as opposed to a “circuit?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E