Connect with us

Formula E

Santiago E-Prix to Go Ahead; Event Officially Launched

The second Santiago Prix to be held in O’Higgins Parque will take place as planned…

Photo: Formula E

The Santiago E-Prix has been confirmed as taking place on Jan. 18 next year after the official launch of the event took place in the Chilean capital.

Formula E has been monitoring events in the city over the last month which has seen widespread disorder and demonstrations.

This week the Chilean government confirmed that it was writing a new constitution which was largely seen as agreeing to some demands from protesters angry at perceived social and economic inequality in South America’s most affluent country.

Chile’s interior minister Gonzalo Blumel said that an amendment to the constitution would be drafted and would be offered to the public as a referendum.

“Above all, we must focus on the goal of reconfiguring the social contract, which has arisen as a fundamental demand of our citizens,” said Blumel.

Now, Formula E along with local promoters, has confirmed the second race of the 2019-20 ABB FIA Formula E Championship season.

“The city of Santiago is a key market for Formula E, as it is a leading nation in electric mobility solutions in South America. The city is known for hosting world-class international events and Formula E is proud to be one of them,” said Formula E deputy CEO Alberto Longo.

“With a passionate fan base that has grown each season, we look forward to welcoming them and their families as the ABB FIA Formula E Championship is ready to return to O’Higgins Park on Jan. 18.”

Some doubts were raised about the race going ahead after the disturbances and postponements and suspensions of football fixtures earlier this month.

The APEC and COP25 summits, set to be hosted by Santiago, were canceled this month while next weekend’s Copa Libertadores soccer final has been moved to Lima, Peru.

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    Esteban García

    November 13, 2019 at 11:16 am

    Also, Rally Mobil Chile season finale was postponed a couple of weeks due to protests. I think it is very soon yet to go ahead with the event. Hope for better news for chilean people

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E