Connect with us

Formula E

Preston Hails “Overdue” DS Techeetah Victory

DS Techeetah Team Principal Mark Preston lauds the new-look team’s first victory…

Photo: Formula E

DS Techeetah team principal Mark Preston says that Jean-Eric Vergne’s victory in Saturday’s Sanya E-Prix was “a little overdue.”

Preston and the new alliance of DS and Techeetah which formally combined last summer claimed a maiden Formula E victory after coming close in Ad Diriyah and Hong Kong so far in Season Five.

“It feels sweet because we should have won the last race with Andre [Lotterer] so it is nice to get the first one as DS Techeetah now. It feels a little overdue though, to be honest,” Preston told e-racing365.

“We have had the pace as we saw in the first two rounds and then we hit some issues but there was never any doubt that we could come back and start winning again.”

Preston said that Vergne’s race-winning move on polesitter Oliver Rowland at the final corner even caught him by surprise.

“I wasn’t expecting him to make that move but he pulled it off brilliantly,” he said.

“It was nicely executed and it also showed that once he was clear of the Nissan then he could pull away comfortably until the stoppage.”

Vergne was placed under temporary investigation after he was deemed to not have complied with the ten car-lengths rule while behind safety car.

However, Preston said that he and his team were relatively unconcerned about a potential race-affecting penalty regarding the offence.

“We were all watching the safety car quite carefully and studying when it was turning its lights off, etc. because there have been a few times in the past when they have gone one more lap than we thought like in Marrakesh,” explained Preston.

“So we were super careful but I could see that he was conducting the pace but we didn’t think there was enough to say that there was any problem with the ten car lengths rule at the safety car line really.

“I think a reprimand was a fair enough conclusion by the stewards.”

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E