Connect with us

Formula E

Pizzitola, Mardenborough in Running for Nissan e.dams Seat

Jann Mardenborough, Andrea Pizzitola being evaluated as replacements for Nicolas Prost…

Photo: Nissan

Andrea Pizzitola and Jann Mardenborough have recently completed simulator tests with e.dams and are in the running for a drive with the Nissan e.dams team next season.

E-racing365 understands the two drivers are being considered by Nissan to replace Nicolas Prost at e.dams as the Japanese manufacturer takes over the entry from Renault for Season Five of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship.

A pool of drivers are currently being monitored and simulator tested ahead of a more expansive track testing program which will take place later this summer.

Both drivers have links with Nissan as Pizzitola is a Renault/Nissan “Alliance Athlete” while Mardenborough has been a NISMO factory driver for many years racing in several categories including GT3, LMP2, LMP1, GP3 and Super Formula.

The Brit is currently driving for the Kazuyoshi Hoshino-led Team Impul squad in Super GT.

Pizzitola co-drives with Formula E points leader Jean-Eric Vergne in the European Le Mans Series and both were part of the G-Drive Racing team that won the LMP2 class at the 24 Hours of Le Mans earlier this month before it lost the win to a post-race penalty.

Twenty-six-year-old Pizzitola, who last raced single-seaters in 2014 during a campaign in the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 series, says he is interested in Formula E.

“Of course I would love to go to Formula E, it’s a great championship and there are a lot of really strong drivers and strong teams,” he told e-racing365.

“It’s a bit like Formula 1 because it’s so difficult to get in, there is no place. If some people are looking for a driver, I’m here, no problem.”

Renault e.dams confirmed just after the Zurich E-Prix earlier this month that Prost will not continue for a fifth Formula E season.

In addition to Pizzitola and Mardenborough, several other drivers are believed to be in contention for a drive, including Oliver Rowland and Alexander Albon.

Buemi Set to Stay at Nissan e.dams

Season Two champion Sebastien Buemi is expected to remain at Nissan e.dams for his fifth consecutive season with the French-run team.

This will be despite his FIA World Endurance Championship commitments with Nissan automotive rival Toyota, which is understood to have sprung up some intricate marketing issues.

The new-look Nissan squad is set to be fronted by both Nissan Global Motorsport Director Michael Carcamo and e.dams founder and owner Jean-Paul Driot.

Speaking to e-racing365 earlier this month, Carcamo insinuated that the process of evaluating drivers for next season would begin in earnest.

“Our main effort is on getting the car right and getting the powertrain right but as season four comes to a close I am sure we will have a much more intense period of evaluation [of drivers for Season Five].

“What we know is that Formula E requires a competitive driver. The skill set of FE is different than other [championships]. It is difficult to say whether one category is better or not, and if a young driver, or an older driver, can adapt or not.

“I think it is a process and we will see that evolve. I would say the options are completely open.”

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Esteban García

    June 29, 2018 at 7:39 pm

    Interesting point if Buemi will run for Nissan and Toyota, also rivals in the main japanese series. Very hard issue to solve.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E