Connect with us

Formula E

Nasr’s New Challenge; Reserve Driver Confusion at Dragon

Nasr looks ahead to Formula E race debut; confused picture surrounding Dragon’s drivers…

Photo: Jakob Ebrey Photography

Felipe Nasr says that the ABB FIA Formula E Championship has always been something he has looked to compete in since his Formula 1 departure in 2016.

Although not yet officially confirmed by the team, Nasr will drive for GEOX Dragon at this weekend’s Mexico City E-Prix and is understood to have signed for the remainder of the season.

Official confirmation of Nasr replacing Max Guenther is expected to come later today.

The reigning IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Champion completed several tests in the RS simulator in Monaco last week before travelling to Mexico.

“Formula E has been on the radar, [it is] something I have always been looking at since I left F1,” Nasr told e-racing365 last month ahead of his planned test with Dragon in Marrakesh.

“I’m sure I can bring my knowledge, my experience over my career to give [GEOX Dragon] the best feedback I can.”

A complex contractual situation prevented Nasr from completing any running in Morocco, however.

Nasr is committed to his WeatherTech Championship title defense with Action Express Racing, and a clash between the U.S. series and Formula E will occur in April.

E-racing365 has learned that Nasr’s IMSA commitments at Long Beach will take priority over the Rome E-Prix on April 13, while Guenther is the likely replacement to get one last outing with the team this season.

Confused Picture at GEOX Dragon

Confusion still reigns at GEOX Dragon as it restructures its driver lineup in the wake of signing Nasr earlier this month.

Guenther is now understood to be the team’s official reserve driver but e-racing365 understands he hasn’t travelled to Mexico.

Dragon announced Antonio Fuoco as its test and reserve driver in November and the Italian placed third in Jose Maria Lopez’s car at the Marrakesh rookie test last month.

Fuoco’s future with Dragon remains unclear, with some sources indicating to e-racing365 that the Italian is no longer associated with the team.

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E