Connect with us

Formula E

Nasr to Replace Guenther at GEOX Dragon

Felipe Nasr is set to replace Max Guenther at GEOX Dragon from Mexico City…

Photo: Rick Dole/IMSA

Felipe Nasr will make his ABB FIA Formula E Championship debut at the Mexico City E-Prix later this month, replacing Max Guenther at GEOX Dragon.

Nasr attended the Marrakesh E-Prix with Dragon and was entered to test in the rookie sessions the day after the E-Prix.

Lengthy contractual negotiations prevented any actual running on the day and as a result, the team lost half of its available testing time.

E-racing365 understands that several further negotiations took place between Nasr’s representatives and the team in the weeks between the Marrakesh and Santiago rounds.

These now appear to have resulted in a deal for Nasr to join fellow South American Jose Maria Lopez in the team, beginning in Mexico City on Feb. 16.

Speaking before the Marrakesh E-Prix last month, Nasr said that the original plan of testing was with an eventual race seat firmly in mind.

“I’m sure I can bring my knowledge, my experience over my career to give them the best feedback I can,” Nasr told e-racing365.

“Having the first opportunity now I think it shows that the doors are opened for the series in the future.”

Nasr is also expected to drive the No. 6 Penske EV-3 in the in-season test at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez the day after the E-Prix.

One Clash With IMSA Campaign

Nasr is committed to his title defense in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship this season, driving for Action Express Racing, but there is one clash.

The Long Beach street race clashes with the mid-season Rome E-Prix on April 13, and it remains to be seen if Guenther could be drafted back into the team for the Italian round.

The German had a competitive last race in Santiago, out-qualifying teammate Jose Maria Lopez and running in sixth position before stopping with a technical issue.

Twenty-six-year-old Nasr last drove a single-seater car at the 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and admitted that Formula E was the most attractive series for him to return to the discipline.

“I kind of miss that feeling of driving an open cockpit kind of car and it will be fun to get that taste again and to see how the cars handle, to understand the series,” he told e-racing365 last month.

“I know there’s a lot to take in, a lot to understand as well, so I’m very open for the new experience and I can’t wait to get on it.”

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    PATRICK BIRTHRIGHT

    February 5, 2019 at 6:30 pm

    Would love to see Nasr in Indycar. Hopefully he wont miss any IMSA rounds due to simulator testing.

Leave a Reply

Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E