Connect with us

Formula E

Monaco Pitlane Attack Zone Explored

The Attack Zone in Monaco could be placed in the pit lane for May’s race…

Photo: Formula E

The ABB FIA Formula E Championship is exploring the possibility of using the Monaco pitlane for its Attack Zone area, e-racing365 can reveal.

The innovative plan may see cars peel off after La Rascasse to activate the three Attack Zone triggering loops in the pitlane before re-joining the track.

The 1.096-mile Formula E track could use the pitlane with drivers rejoining just before the modified Sainte Devote corner which then links to the straight down to the harborfront chicane.

Detailed plans have not yet been formally presented to teams but the all-electric championship is seriously looking at such a plan for the Monaco E-Prix on May 11.

Subject to the agreement of both the FIA and the Automobile Club de Monaco, the plans will bypass the conventional location of the zones which so far have been located exclusively on the inside or outside of corners.

The Monaco Formula E circuit, which has previously been used in both 2015 and 2017, does not have a natural and spacious area for the Attack Zone implementation.

E-racing365 understands that the only other area considered as a serious practical possibility for the triggering area to be used was the area on the exit of the hairpin before Tabac.

Confirmation of whether or not the pitlane will be used as the Attack Zone is expected to come next month.

Idea Met with Cautious Enthusiasm by Paddock

The idea has been met with interest from drivers and team principals, including reigning champion Jean-Eric Vergne who is onboard if it is implemented correctly.

“I think it will be good if it is forbidden to use it under Full Course Yellow or Safety Car,” he told e-racing365.

“But I don’t know how they will manage this because there will be some races this season like Paris and also Monaco where there is literally no chance to overtake and as we have seen there has been a lot of pushing.”

“So going through the pits at Monaco could be a way to help this somehow, so let’s see.”

BMW i Andretti Motorsport’s Alexander Sims says that only Monaco really lends itself to such a possibility.

“It could work but it would need to be studied carefully, which I understand it is being,” Sims told e-racing365.

“I guess if anywhere can have something that quirky then it should be Monaco, but my initial reaction is that too much time would be lost, but let’s see if it gets serious first.”

Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler team principal Allan McNish believes that, should the initiative come to fruition, there will be careful thought needed from team strategists.

“It is a short pitlane but you would still lose a hell of a lot but then what it means is that you would be really monitoring where you would come out in traffic as opposed to the pure lose/gain aspect,” McNish told e-racing365.

“If you were in the lead you’d use the first Attack Mode straight away because you would then get to the back and use your second one in free air and so on.

“We haven’t really thought in depth about it because it is not confirmed but it’s a very interesting proposition if it can work.”

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E