Connect with us

Formula E

Key Week for Lotterer’s Formula E Future

Andre Lotterer expected to make 2019-20 team decision by the end of June….

Photo: Formula E

Andre Lotterer’s immediate future in the ABB FIA Formula E Championship could be resolved this week as the German driver weighs up his existing seat with DS Techeetah or a move to the new Porsche Formula E team.

Lotterer, who sits fourth in the championship points standings, has a contract with DS Techeetah for the 2019-20 season, but is understood to be a coveted target for the Porsche.

The 37 year-old has a contract with the Chinese-entered team for season six and an option for the 2020-21 season.

Lotterer also holds a Porsche Motorsport contract until the end of 2019, which was initially firmed up ahead of the 2017 FIA World Endurance Championship where he partnered already confirmed Porsche Formula E driver Neel Jani.

The decision, which is believed to be largely down to Lotterer on where he drives next season, could be made this week as he mulls over his immediate future in the all-electric series.

Key members of Lotterer’s management team, including chairman of GP Sports Management Julian Jakobi, had meetings with senior DS Techeetah figures during the Bern E-Prix meeting.

“I have a contract with the [DS Techeetah] team yes,” Lotterer told e-racing365.

“Of course, there are talks going on, but nothing is decided. Normally I am staying, but who knows, there are things that can happen, but I don’t want to decide right now.”

Porsche has already used half of its allocated development test days and the German manufacturer is likely to be keen to immerse its second driver in the remaining test schedule after the New York City finale next month.

DS Techeetah’s team principal Mark Preston told e-racing365 in Bern last week that he does not foresee any changes in the teams lineup for next season.

“There is no reason to expect it [change] at the moment as it was a long contract at the beginning so there is nothing else to comment on there,” said Preston.

Lotterer elaborated on his remaining aims in top level motorsport, with the 37-year-old saying that he would like to compete at a high level for several more years.

“I would like to race until around 2025 but I don’t think that I can do that [all] in Formula E,” he said.

“So these next years are quite important for me regarding Formula E, plus there’s the bigger, longer picture which is also important. But who knows what happens let’s say in three years anyway.”

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    Chris

    June 25, 2019 at 3:52 pm

    Tough decision. I think it would be a shame to see the end of Jeandre in an official capacity XD

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E