The full Monaco Grand Prix circuit will be used by the ABB FIA Formula E Championship in Season Five.
Formula E founder and CEO Alejandro Agag confirmed to e-racing365 that the historic 2.074-mile layout will play host to the all-electric championship next May, in its return to the calendar for the 2018/19 season.
“Monaco is back and we will use the full track,” Agag said. “The short track was too small; it was ok, but it is much better for us to race on the big one.”
The shortened 1.097-mile version of the Monaco circuit, which bypassed the section from the exit of Saint Devote to the tunnel section, was used for both the 2015 and 2017 E-Prix events.
The event is run bi-annually as it shares the date with the Monaco Historic Grand Prix due to the principality’s limitation of two motorsports events per year.
Formula E drivers have given high praise to the decision, after previously lobbying to move away from the old layout.
“I think first of all with the new cars, it’s going to be very difficult to continue on the small tracks,” double Monaco E-Prix winner Sebastien Buemi told e-racing365.
“Of course the [Monaco] small track is the smallest track of the whole season and it’s very difficult to overtake there. With more power and better cars, it’s going to be very important to go on the big one.
“When we have a possibility like in Monaco, I think we should jump on it.”
There were erroneous concerns about cars struggling to complete the rise from Saint Devote to the Massenet/Casino complex, although it proved to be a misnomer, which some drivers felt projected a false image of the cars.
Dragon’s Jerome d’Ambrosio, who like Buemi has raced on the full circuit in Formula 1, thinks that the spectacle of competing on the iconic street circuit will send a message about recent advancements in the series.
“Formula E has never been about what will happen if you go up or downhill, it’s a question of if you are going flat-out,” he told e-racing365.
“I think doing the full circuit is a no-brainer as it will provide much more overtaking opportunity at places like Mirabeau and the chicane.
“There is no reason whatsoever why we can’t race there and the Season Five cars will be giving exactly the right message to everyone about EV technology.
“Imagine how cool the Season Five car is going to look heading in to Casino Square. It is going to be fantastic.”
The third edition of the Monaco E-Prix is likely to take place on Sat. May 11, 2019.
John Dagys contributed to this report