The recent four-week extension of the Season Six manufacturer testing window will come as a welcome break for Nissan e.dams, according to Sebastien Buemi.
The FIA informed all manufacturers just prior to the New York City finale earlier this month that the previous deadline of Oct. 1 has been extended up to and including Oct. 31.
Although the FIA would not confirm the precise reason for the extension it is believed that the extra days have been allocated primarily for Nissan e.dams.
This is as a result of the Franco-Japanese squad having to change its powertrain specification on account of the ban on twin-MGU systems that was communicated last month.
“We are behind schedule as you can imagine and the decision came very late so these extra days are good,” Buemi told e-racing365.
“I was expecting it to come for Season Seven (2020-21) and unfortunately it came for Season Six so it’s a big shame.”
E-racing365 understands that the extension dictated to manufacturers rather that taken to an e-vote which has been used several times for regulation modifications in the past.
Speaking about the outlawing of twin-MGU designs from next season onwards, Buemi could not hide his disappointment regarding the decision.
“The only problem was we were not ready because it was very complex,” he said.
“We knew it was an investment for the next few years so we didn’t care not to be ready at the start or score well in the first five races.
“What we wanted was an investment in to Season Six, Seven, Eight and Nine but unfortunately it was too good for some other people.
“I am sad how it unfolded because I think Formula E is about innovation and for me it was very innovative and it has been homologated by the FIA.”