Sebastien Buemi feels the track time Nissan lost during last week’s Valencia pre-season test did not affect his preparations for Season Five of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship.
The Nissan e.dams team lost around two days of testing due to the ongoing saga of Alexander Albon’s contractual situation, as e.dams’ latest signing finalizes plans to race for the Toro Rosso Formula 1 team in 2019.
Nissan completed its 15 days of private testing last month with Albon conducting at least three of those prior to the Valencia group test.
However, Albon’s absence from the cockpit of the No.22 car at Circuit Ricardo Tormo meant Buemi needed to step in on Tuesday afternoon to complete a systems-check.
The team then scrambled Williams Formula 1 test driver Oliver Rowland, although the Englishman didn’t run at all on Wednesday because of the ongoing negotiations.
Rowland was then faced with a wet first session on Friday morning when he turned his first laps of the Nissan IM01 package.
“I focused on my car and my crew so from my point of view it was not really any different but I guess for the other side of the garage it was a bit hectic,” said Buemi.
“You cannot say it is positive to lose a day and a half of running or close to two days but it is like that.
“We try to gather as much data as we can from my car and now with Oliver in it we will try to get ready for Riyadh.”
The 2015-16 champion also believes that the next Formula E season will again be close and will come down to which team masters the finer details of the Gen 2 package.
“All the teams are really strong so it will be down to details and to drivers not making mistakes and strategy being right,” he said.
“I would not expect anyone to dominate but of course we never know.
“BMW looks strong but we will see when we start the season, but from my point of view it will be down to small details like it always was in Formula E.”