An ABB FIA Formula E Championship race in Bern has been confirmed as the replacement for the Zurich E-Prix at Friday’s FIA World Motorsport Council meeting.
The Swiss capital will host its first single-seater street race on Sat. June 22, in place of the originally planned Zurich race which was postponed due to a clashing event in the city.
The new date is two weeks later than the June 9 slot that Zurich had held on the schedule.
Formula E CEO and founder Alejandro Agag told e-racing365 last month that a long-term solution for the Swiss round is yet to be found.
“Actually, it was very encouraging that a few cities came forward and raised their hands,” said Agag.
“Even Zurich is now asking when they are coming back so there it is not a ‘goodbye’, it is a ‘see you later’.
“But if we are comfortable with Bern then maybe we will stick with Bern, we will have to wait and see.”
Bern does have a history of motorsport, having hosted a world championship Grand Prix between 1950 and 1954 at Bremgarten on the outskirts of the city.
“It’s fantastic news to return to Switzerland this coming season on the streets of Bern for the Julius Baer Swiss E-Prix,” Agag said in a statement released on Friday.
“We collectively made history last season in Zurich – successfully hosting a professional circuit race for the first time in the country in over six decades.
“Now we’ll be making history once again by bringing the ABB FIA Formula E Championship to the Swiss capital of Bern – I’d like to extend my thanks to Mayor von Graffenried and his team.”
The WMSC also officially ratified the Santiago E-Prix on Friday, with the Chilean capital set to host another Formula E race on a different circuit in January.
Along with the Santiago announcement on Tuesday, the series’ return to Bern completes the 2018-19 schedule.
Sam Smith contributed to this report.