Connect with us

Formula E

Barclay: Jaguar Seeks “Very Powerful” Driver Lineup

Jaguar unlikely to make a decision on who will parter Mitch Evans for another few weeks…

Photo: Formula E

Panasonic Jaguar Racing is yet to decide who will partner Mitch Evans in the upcoming ABB FIA Formula E Championship season but is expected to make the decision internally by the end of August.

The British team replaced Nelson Piquet Jr. with Alex Lynn midway through the 2018-19 campaign.

Lynn scored ten points from seven races but was unlucky not to score a potential maiden victory in the first New York City race last month after suffering a technical issue while in a strong second place.

Although the team has not formerly confirmed Evans, it is believed that the New Zealander has already committed to a further season to race for Jaguar in 2019-20.

“The learning [of 2018-19] from our side is that the margins are so close and I think that is you look at Mitch who has been with us right from the start he has developed with us and now as a team we have a very powerful combination,” team principal James Barclay told e-racing365.

“In this championship though you need two drivers who are capable of winning.”

“For us the most important thing is that we have a very powerful combination and the step now for next season as we get closer to finalizing where we go direction wise with both drivers is to get ourselves in to a very strong position.”

The identity of Evans’ teammate is unclear after James Calado undertook two Jaguar I-Type 3 tests earlier in the summer.

One aspect in Jaguar’s selection process is likely to be confirmation of the final Formula E calendar which is expected to at least reduce, if not eradicate entirely, the two remaining clashes with the FIA World Endurance Championship in 2019-20.

Lynn and Calado will drive for Aston Martin Racing and AF Corse, respectively, in the upcoming WEC season, which kicks off at Silverstone in a little over two weeks.

Jaguar is believed to be holding off selecting a partner for Mitch Evans until the end of August at the earliest, with speculation suggesting that it is keeping an eye on potential driver market movements in Formula 1.

Haas, Sauber and Toro Rosso are believed to be the key areas where a driver could become available for a possible move into Formula E next season.

Barclay believes that the timing of confirming driver packages is a delicate balance for several reasons.

“The deadlines are self-imposed to a certain point now. You could take the view that there are still other opportunities that might emerge,” he said.

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Avatar

    Anon

    August 14, 2019 at 6:28 am

    Oliver Turvey could be a potential option, unless he commits to another season with NIO. Maybe they could try nabbing Audi reserve driver Nico Muller as he stated he feels ready for a Season 6 drive.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E