Daniel Abt has been confirmed at Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler for Season Five of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship.
The announcement came Saturday in Zurich, site of this weekend’s E-Prix, and comes on the heels of the German driver’s second victory of the season, where he led a 1-2 finish in Berlin last month.
It means the team’s driver lineup will remain unchanged next season, with former series champion Lucas di Grassi having already been confirmed.
“It was always part of the plan and was not influenced by his performance in Berlin,” said team principal Allan McNish.
“Berlin just really cemented everything on it and we knew we should put that to bed so there were no unnecessary questions as he needs to focus on Zurich and New York.”
Abt’s position in the team had been in question, due to his single-year contract and reports of three other Audi factory drivers, Nico Mueller, Rene Rast and Robin Frijns, being in the mix for Formula E drives.
Abt currently sits fourth in the title race, despite his exclusion from Race 2 in Hong Kong.
“For me, it continues to be an honor to represent the four rings in Formula E,” he said. “I am delighted about the trust that Audi and the entire team places in me and am trying to give my all to reward this trust with good results.”
DTM star Mueller, meanwhile, has been named the team’s test and reserve driver and will be supporting di Grassi and Abt in simulator sessions with the new Audi e-tron FE05.