Connect with us

Formula E

Prost Exits Renault e.dams

Nico Prost will leave Renault e.dams at the end of the current Formula E season…

Photo: Formula E

Nicolas Prost will leave Renault e.dams at the end of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship season after four years with the squad.

Prost, who has been ever-present at the team since the inception of Formula E, will drive his final race for Renault at the New York E-Prix next month.

The Renault e.dams driver confirmed to e-racing365 that he is set to exit the team, which will metamorphose into a Nissan-fronted effort for Season Five beginning this December.

The son of four-time F1 champion and former Renault e.dams director Alain Prost won three Formula E races, at Miami in Season One and a double success at the Battersea Park finale in Season Two.

He finished third in 2015-16, his best championship classification in the series.

The 36-year-old sits 18th in the current standings after a largely difficult fourth season with the French team. A best finishing position of eighth in the second Hong Kong race in December has so far been the highlight of his season.

“It’s been a tough season this year, no doubt,” Prost told e-racing365.

“It is time for change for both me and the team. I am now looking at a new challenge in Formula E which is a championship I know very well of course.

“I have nothing but great affection and good memories for my time with the team.”

Prost lauded Renault e.dams’ achievements of taking three straight teams’ titles and thanked the French squad as news of his departure was confirmed.

“We achieved a lot together, including three wins and three teams’ titles,” he said. “I think that even though it has been difficult this season, on balance it has been a very successful program.”

“I want to thank Renault, Jean-Paul Driot and all the team for some special times together.”

E-racing365 believes that Prost, who has tested the Season Five Nissan, is in discussion with several teams about a possible seat in Season Five.

“I want to still race here [in Formula E] because I have good experience, technical knowledge and motivation to develop a car to,” he said.

“There are not too many drivers that have won races in Formula E so I think I can offer quite a bit, especially at the start of a new era with the Gen 2 cars.”

Renault e.dams Team Principal Jean-Paul Driot paid tribute to Prost as news of his exit was confirmed.

“Nicolas has been one of the pillars at Renault e.dams since its creation,” he said.

“With Sebastien Buemi, they formed a complementary duo of drivers and both have been very involved in the collective performance.

“We have had some great times together, especially the three Team titles that have rewarded the efforts of both of them.

“The time has come to turn the page, after an often frustrating season and at the dawn of a new chapter in the history of Formula E. We all wish Nicolas great success in his future endeavours.”

Nissan is currently evaluating a replacement for Prost and e-racing365 understands that several drivers are being actively looked at this month.

The current driver market is fluid with several seats up for grabs for next season. In addition to Nissan, it is believed that at least Mahindra, NIO, Venturi and the new HWA setup have seats up for grabs.

Sebastien Buemi is expected to lead Nissan in to its first Formula E season which begins in Riyadh this December.

Sam Smith is e-racing365's Formula E Editor. A 20-year veteran in motorsports media, including press officer roles in both the FIA Sportscar Championship and at Lola Group, Smith is a well-known face in the Formula E paddock, where he served as series editor for Motorsport.com from 2014-17. Contact Sam

3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. Chris

    June 12, 2018 at 6:13 am

    I’d like to see Jann Mardenborough. But the most interesting question right now is will Buemi race for Nissan and Toyota at the same time? Do Toyota not consider it a full factory drive as e-dams are still going to be running it?

    • Chris

      June 12, 2018 at 6:17 am

      I also don’t think Prost can stay in the championship unless as a third driver. I don’t see any team wanting to take him after this season, even if he has been competitive in seasons 1 and 2. There are just too many top quality drivers out there to choose from at the moment.

  2. Anon

    June 17, 2018 at 6:23 am

    My picks for the seat would be (in order of preference and likelihood):

    Alexander Albon
    Mitsunori Takaboshi
    Jann Mardenborough
    Artem Markelov
    Jack Aitken

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

More in Formula E