Plans to eliminate the minimum pit stop time in all ABB FIA Formula E Championship races has been postponed for one race until the Santiago E-Prix next month.
As revealed by e-racing365 on Thursday, teams had signed a letter to the stewards that expressed dissatisfaction on plans to do away with a minimum time, citing safety concerns, particularly around the fastening of seat belts.
Teams are believed to have asked for a one-race grace period for the measure to be implemented, which has been granted.
The stewards are ultimately responsible for the safe running of the Marrakesh E-Prix and its decision was to continue with a “reference time for the mandatory change of cars of 45 seconds and a minimum pit speed of 48km/h.”
The above alludes to Article 37.6 of the sporting regulations, which covers the car change swap but does not dictate a minimum time.
The procedure of issuing bulletins outlining the minimum pit stop time on the day prior to each E-Prix has been in place since the championship’s launch.
Initial plans to abolish the minimum time came earlier this week and were universally criticized by the majority of teams.
The postponement will allow teams to prepare its pit garages accordingly, invest in “sports car style belts” and also potentially use additional safety equipment for their personnel.
While drivers have not universally supported the change, the one-race postponement will allow additional time for its implementation.
“I remember in Season One there were people waiting because the holding time was so long and it looked strange on TV but I think now it doesn’t look so bad like people are waiting so much,” Renault e.dams driver Nicolas Prost told e-racing365 prior to today’s postponement.
“They said they will check everyone at the end of the race at the pit entry, which is good.
“I don’t completely disagree with the change as whole, but I just think the timing is strange as we learned about it a few days before the actual race.”